DOCUMENTARY - POST PRODUCTION - ROUGH CUT.

As I did not attend the shoot days, I gave myself the task of the editing stage, at first glance of the footage there were some faults with some of the shots that Helen pointed out.

  • Most of the shots were hand-held and too shaky to use
  • There wasn't a lot of cutaways.
  • The audio was distorted.
  • The interview with Jane, her positioning was out in the frame.
  • We didn't have any actuality shots or Establishing shots of Katie's house.
  • Katie didn't try the dress on.
  • We didn't have an interview with the FMP student.
Helen asked if we would film some more stuff at the UCA with the FMP student, so I arranged with Taz the next day to review the footage, go to the studio get the equipment, fill out the risk assessment form and get to the campus to film, I couldn't make the shoot as I needed to get back but I left a list of shots that we needed to get.

Katie had to take the equipment home and get some shots in her house, to build up a character profile of who she is.

At the studios the following day I reviewed the footage and some of the shots that I asked to get wasn't there and there were no cutaways of Catlin when she spoke about the dress also we still didn't have the footage of Katie trying on the dress.

Helen asked us to get the shots the next day, this never happened.

So working with what I got was the way forward.

After looking at a rough cut that we had, it was obvious that I needed to do a commentary to push the story along.
In the script, I said 'I' a lot but I had to find a new way of telling the story because I can't say I if I am not seen in the shot.

So I change the dialogue to questions and more a matter of fact commentary.

Originally I arranged with Katie to split the transcripts, I would do the one for Jane and she would do the one for herself, I could only use one clip for Jane so a transcript wasn't really needed and I didn't receive the transcript from Katie so I did a blind edit, which I didn't find hard at all because I knew exactly what keywords I was looking for, I could have done with more cutaway stuff, as I didn't have a lot to work with but I made it work by using the footage of the models, I wanted footage like close-ups of money being handing over the till, clothes being put in a bag, when she was writing in the book, the Strood sign - these things were in the script but it was never filmed for reasons out of my control.

I had to come up with a set for my PTC because I didn't want it to look like we were in the base room.
Firstly I needed to get my props together, to get a scene of fashion and a good backdrop, I collected some of my fancy frocks that have been collecting dust for a while in my wardrobe, I have a clothes rail but it is full so I improvised with a projector screen to hang my clothes on, I also brought in my fancy mannequin for decoration. The walls in the lecture room are flat so I wanted to break up the backdrop with some colours and fabrics.
The sofa (although not seen in the shot) had a gold throw covering it, with sequin cushions, this was to indicate the richness and glamour of the fashion industry. I thought hard about how I wanted the PTC to look ascetically and visually and made sure that the shots where exactly what I had planned in my head, the reason why we didn't get a wide of the PTC was because the set was tight and coming out wider would have ruined the effect of the set.
My costume I wore also had a rich effect with my sparkling headband, metallic bronze lipstick, gold earrings and a lace top, I wanted to blend in with my colour scheme.
The backdrop has a slight soft focus and is pushed to the back of the room, I brought the mannequin forward so it was seen clearer.

In edit, I adjusted the frame slightly because in the right-hand corner of the frame the projector screen is visual.

   

HOW I FIXED SOME OF THE FOOTAGE

In the interview with Jane, I bought the frame in tighter as you can see in the picture below there is a lot of headroom and she is centre-lowdown in the frame, the clothes behind are nice as part of dressing the set however they are distracting in the interview...


The audio needed work as the volumes varied from clip to clip and in some of the footage there is no audio at all
I worked with some of the handheld stuff however I used minim frames.

What needs to be done for the fine cut?


  • Graphics.
  • Audio and Sounds.
  • Soundbar.
  • Credits.
  • Extra footage.
  • Record more V/O's




Comments

Most viewed