SCRIPT TO SCREEN - CAMERA WORKSHOP NO2 WITH SIMON AND FERG

THE SET UP

We watched a clip, filmed by Simon of 'Man gets out the car', we discussed what was wrong with the clip.
  • It was filmed in one shot
  • There was no storey about the clip
  • Didn't have enough coverage
  • slow to watch because edits created speed
  • if something went wrong on that shoot then there would be no other footage to work with.
A story is telling it with pictures and a set up is, every time the camera moves or a lens is changed it is a different set up, because lighting needs to be moved, background needs to be moved etc.


Simon give us our first assignment, it was called 'The Chair'.We had to get into groups of three to start but I was in a pair because of the numbers, so I teamed up with Alix, we had to film a sequence using different set-ups of someone getting into a chair, we used a structured plan to work out our shots
  • start wide, get the actors warmed up.
  • block out the action
  • work out the shots
  • plan/test
  • shoot
  • review 
We was also made aware to do more takes, a beginner usually has about 3 - 4 takes for each set-up, we had to do static only but we was given more flexabilty during the shoot, I was under the impression we couldn't take the camera off so I left it on the tri-pod, however I should of taken more ownership of my shoot, I am just used to following strict instrutions, as Simon said at the start of the course though, some rules can be broken.

So myself and Alix got our camera set up and we started off by storyboarding ideas.


This is the first time that I have storyboarded for anything but I needed to illustrate my idea.
I am not a good drawer but I tried!

I numbered the shots that I wanted to shoot in order - wide - close - extreme close

It worked out better with having the shots titled but I wish I could draw better, we also had the difficulty with the surroundings, as others where shooting there material around and in-between us - sound wasn't great either but we made it work and I am sure in the edit (which will be uploaded end of next week) it will show.

After lunch we were given our next assignment, we had to shot a sequence from a script passage, the movie was called the marginal call.
This assignment was to test our imaginative skills, this had to be a drama and not a comedy.
It was a challenge because we didn't know where are when this taken place, how the dialogue is said and also the environmental factors.




















Myself and Alix Joined Reese and Sara on this project.

I directed my own piece and Sara filmed it.
I filmed Alix piece and Alix directed it.
Reece Filmed whilst Sara directed her piece.

I decide to direct my idea with Sara on the camera, but I wanted it done it one shot, how it looks in the final edit I will find out next week when I edit. 

I enjoy directing more then I thought because I felt more in control of my vision,  I really like learning about the camera more and more that I use them.



Above is the Pre-edited version of Margin calls in which Sara filed and I directed, I wanted to do it in one shot, like a following shot, I feel like it did work but needed to be a lot more planed out more, but as this was the second workshop we did I feel like I am getting more comfortable with the camera and what it can do.






Comments

Most viewed