DIRECTION - PROPS AND COSTUME

                                                                PROPS COSTUME

A few weeks ago I contacted an Army surplus store, Semma4 in Maidstone, to find out about hiring a uniform for my actor's costume, I spoke with the shop assistant, James said he would talk to the owner Mark.
I stayed in communication with them for a couple of weeks and James told me that he wouldn't be able to hire me the kit but would do a deal on my uniform if I bought 2.

I arranged a date with my actors and their only availability was on 07/02/19 at 2pm, I booked the afternoon with them to get their costume.

When I got to the store I arrived a 1hr and a half earlier than expected and got talking to the owner, he said I can have any kit on loan for my set but I had to buy my uniform, DEAL.

I was like a kid in a candy store.



So here is what I want I got on loan for my shoot ...

                                                                 Army helmet x2



Mess Tins


Ration pack

                                                                      Basher



Webbing x2

The total value of the kit on loan is around £400.

I wanted my actors to look something like this ......


And I got pretty close .....



The uniforms in total should have been £100 each but he only charged me £40 each for them, which i though was an absolute bargain.
I got little details like their strips and arm patches to make them look authentic.

Other props I will be using for dressing the set and to use are....



                                                                 1x Burgeon - £4
                                                                    Cam Cream - £2.50 


Personalised dog tags £11.00



                                                           Mobile phone - for first shot - Free


Jack -in-the-box - £19.99


Netting - £7.99

                                                   Equipment weather protector -£29.99

I also bought some tattoo scars.

I feel like my purchase were as much as an investment than just for the shoot day because it is a kit that I will certainly use again in the future.
As a director I feel like it's important to get as close as possible to the description of the characters in the script, I researched online about what the latest military kit is and I feel that I made the correct decisions when choosing my costumes, the only thing that I had to change is the colour of the uniform and props, because in the film 'The hurt locker' they are wearing desert uniform and the misè-en-scene of that location matches that costume.
I am filming in a woodland green setting and if I used Bigelow's colours it would look totally out of place.
I have also taken away the bomb helmets and replaced them with camo helmets so that it matches the colours and set that I am using.



Comments

Most viewed