SCRIPT TO SCREEN - EDITING FOR 'Y4'



Day 1 of edit - 05/12/18.
On the initial day of editing, I still wasn't sure wether to do a extract or a trailer.
Ideally I wanted to shoot and edit the whole film.
After working at home, I decided that I would do an extract of my script because it was a lot more simple than working on a whole short film.

I worked on my first edit for four hours at the studios and showed Simon my progress.
He gave me these suggestions:
  • Sound could be added when the door opens to demonstrate that they are in a hospital setting. i.e Tannoys for Doctor calls and foley noise when the door opens. 
  • A click could be added when Daniella takes a selfie of herself and Annie. 
  • To have louder dialogue when Daniella ask's Annie if she can help her back to her bed.
  • Have I got a close shot of Daniella's expression when reads the words 'Goodbye' on the Scrabble board? 
  • He suggested that I take out the last scene as I broke the 180 degree rule. ( This definitely needed to be changed because it is not supposed to be unsettling) 
  • When the nurse enters and mentions the Scrabble board, I should have a shot of the Scrabble board to show what the nurse is talking about as we cannot see the Scrabble board in frame when she says her dialogue. 
  • Freeze frame on the selfie.
Edit review - 06/12/18.
  • Colour needed to be worked on.
  • Music should be moved to the montage.
  • Faster cuts to the action.
  • The door shouldn't be the last image.
  • Close spaces in the movement of the actors, the audience don't need to see the back of head or open spaces for to long. 
  • Closing credits needed to be worked on.
Edit fine cut deadline - 10/12/18.
  • The sound was to loud when the door open and closed.
  • Needed a still frame on the selfie for Annie and Daniella.
  • Need to cross fade to make the moment of time passing by when Annie leaves the room.
What I changed to my edit.
After taking on board Simons advice and with the help from Ferg, I made the following changes;
  • I added a sound in the selfie action.
  • I tightened the cuts between my actors.
  • I inserted an image of the Scrabble board when the nurse walked in.
  • I got a reaction shot of Daniella when she read the words 'Goodbye' on the Scrabble board.
  • I corrected the colouring so that each shot looked the same.
  • I put the dialogue of each actor on different channels to work on the volume of the dialogue as well as the foley sounds.
  • Worked on colour correcting and learning a more simple way of doing it.  
What I have learnt from the editing process.
As my edit is still incomplete, I have learned that editing is more complex than what I assumed it would be. Taking in consideration all the elements that go into the editing process, it is a skill within its self. I still have a lot to learn about the Adobe Premier Pro but as this is my first project I have not been shy to ask questions and I also feel that I have developed my skills further throughout the editing process.



















Above was my 3rd edit that I did at the studio on the studio on the 12/12/18 but I decided that it still needed more work as I wasn't satisfied with this cut due to some of the dialogue as it didn't seem to  fit with the actions in some places, I also wanted to work on the pace in some parts, at the end of the film I slowed down a section of action Daniella to make her sad emotions more realistic.

Below is my final edit that I worked on at home.



I prefer the final edit better however at the end it seems to be too long, this is because I slowed two of my shots down and it didn't match to were i wanted my song to end so I put in some text to fill the void, when what I should of done is make the credits shorter.

I need to work more on credits as when editing at home I am not used to working on my own without guidance on the software.

Comments

Most viewed