SCRIPT TO SCREEN - CAMERA WORKSHOP NO3 - 180 DEGREE - EMOTIONS.

 MORNING LESSON                       THE 180 DEGREE RULE

This morning we were taught about the 180 degree rule, this rule is used predominantly for where we set the camera up as this determines where we would like our audience to be viewing the scene, the camera acts as our audience

We need to imagine that there is a 180 degree arc around the subjects that were our camera is aloud to go.


Some films do break the rule we watch some examples.


All of these examples shown, Simon explained to us that it was purposely done as it creates an uneasy feeling, the film is created for the audience to feel this way.

Next our Morning task was to work on off a script that Simon had created and use it to demonstrate the 180 degree rule using 3 or 4 shots.
I teamed up with Katie and Kelsey, we started of by going through the script and storey boarding our ideas before we set up our camera.



Kelsey's storey board




My storyboard was only a rough guide to what I wanted to do, as Simon came around and told us to shoot the whole script 3 times in each different shots, so when it came to filming I started off by doing my wide shots first then my medium shots, then finally my over the shoulder shots.
I got a few nice shots in as well but until I edit my material I am not sure what is going to work best.











                                 Here are some pictures of working on the assignment.




What was really enjoyable about working with Kelsey and Katie is that they all three of us had totally different ideas of what we wanted to do, we talked together like a crew and supported each other if we needed it.

Katie used the table for her scene and was fantastic at directing, she knew exactly how she wanted the piece to look as did Kelsey who used a table which was on a stand yet we were standing.

I used a walk on introduction with the 2 characters seating cue within the script.

The final edit will be uploaded on Friday this week.




                                                   
AFTERNOON LESSON               FRAMING - CAPTURING FELLINGS BY FRAMING



 


In our afternoon lesson we looked at 5 different emotions captured on camera, they were, alone, power, fear, lost-thoughtful and happy.

Our next assignment with the our groups we were in, in the morning workshop, was to capture this emotions just by using framing - no dialogue and minimal action.

We used the first 15 minutes of the sessions writing down how we was going to express these emotions, this is what I wrote.

  • Alone - subject sitting with legs crossed on the floor as I pan the camera right to left.
  • Power - A low shot looking up at the subject with her arms crossed glaring down.
  • Fear - Long shot of subject trapped in a door frame.
  • Lost/thoughtful - Showing More background as subject is far right of the frame.
  • Happy - High Camera panning right to left.
Originally for happy I wanted my subject to do a handstand against the wall but then I become to realise it isn't about the actions it is about the framing to create the feeling of what is happening with the action.

My footage for the afternoon will also be uploaded on Friday.
Overall I am really learning a lot about how to use a camera however there is so much more I want to learn, but baby-steps. 

'YOU NEED TO LEARN TO WALK,BEFORE YOU CAN RUN'






Whilst in edit with Ferg, I came to realise that I should have got more shots as there was some shots missing that would have been really useful, I need to ensure that I do the whole shoot in a long shot first next time.



I feel like I could of captured 'Fear' and 'Happiness' better , I used the idea of being trapped for fear rather then using the correct framing and I was a little shaking the camera too much with the happy emptions, I feel like I should have took my time a lot more on that one.











Comments

Most viewed