Festival research - interview with a producer.

                           TRAILER FILM FESTIVAL - INTERVIEW WITH A PRODUCER.
                                               Featured Filmmaker Lisa Hansell


As a professional beauty and FX makeup artist and producer, Lisa's work has earned several awards including The Geekie, The Webby, several Tellys and several Global Accolade Awards in addition to a few festivals wins including the Burbank Int'l Film Festival. Lisa is largely self-taught and has also had the benefit of private instruction with a 5-time Emmy winning makeup artist. Lisa co-owns ImpaQt FX (propsandmakeup.com) and lives in the greater Los Angeles area.
- IMDb Mini Biography By Lisa Hansell
  
Lisa Hansell, Producer of When the Train Stops




Q: Tell me a little bit about yourself and your background in film.
A: I started out in entertainment in 2006 as an FX makeup artist and transitioned into producing episodic content about 6 years ago. When the Train Stops is the first project I've produced "from scratch" and I have to say that I'm pretty proud of the work my team and I did! I still enjoy making monsters and aliens as often as I can, make no mistake, but producing is my passion because it expands my ability to help shape the direction of the entire production vs one slice of it. Collaborating with creative professionals to make audiences feel - it feeds my soul!

Q: How did you get the opportunity to produce this film? 
A: I became involved with When the Train Stops as a result of making lifelong friendships on another project, as is often the case. The story was written for veteran actor and terrific human being, Michael Forest (Marshall Preston Booth), by his sister-in-law, Bernadette Hale. Over cocktails one evening, I was asked by Bernadette and her sister, Diana Hale (Mrs. Michael Forest) to produce the film. I happily agreed to take the helm. It was Mike and Diana I'd met several years prior on another set. We've remained close ever since, visiting often and enjoying the aforementioned cocktails. 









                                  Photo Credit: Alexander Vesely,  on-set still photographer



Q: What is the inspiration behind the story or the characters?
A: When asked about her inspiration for the story, Bernadette said, " I’ve always been fascinated by trains and train stories and wanted to do one of my own with a beginning, middle and surprise ending. I actually wrote the lead role for Michael Forest, (Apollo on Star Trek & numerous roles on westerns) a perfect choice for Marshal Booth. Setting the short in the Southwest also felt right as well." 

I got to work filling out the cast and crew with the very best industry professionals I knew. I called in SO MANY favours to add production value way beyond our budget. The upscale office in the final scene, for example, belongs to a dear friend who works in downtown Los Angeles on the 43rd floor. He donated the set free of charge!  Another friend is a horse trainer who supplied the horses and tack for just the cost of trailering them to set. There are many such examples of the serendipity that blessed me at every turn.


                                       Photo Credit: Alexander Vesely, on-set still photographer

Q: Were they any challenges in producing the film?
A: Of course, the journey was not free from challenges. Finding a train set within the 30-mile zone that wouldn't break the budget was a monumental task! The location for the opening was scouted in late winter and, by the time we shot the scene in April, the area had completely changed due to rain and overgrowth, and our director had to re-plan his shots on the fly.  Thanks to the professionalism and resilience of everyone involved, each challenge was met with a 'Let's DO this!!" attitude. 

The experience overall has been an incredible one that challenged me beyond my perceived limits and for that, I am so grateful. The fact that our short has gone on to win multiple festival awards is incredibly rewarding personally, confirming that I have indeed found my calling.


                                                                                                                                                                  

I spoke to Lisa Hansell on the phone and wanted to find out exactly the challenges she faced as an independent producer, in the interview she also explained that networking is a key factor in the industry and getting a good relationship through word of mouth.

She is Los Angelos based and was very excited to talk to me, she had heard about me over in LA!




Comments

Most viewed