A. Fictional Adaptation - Analysis or Poet, Poem and background.

                                                                        A poison Tree                                          
                                                                    By William Blake 
                                                                 (The poison tree, 2012)




Who I picked for my project.
William Blake "The Poison tree"

Why did I pick this poem?
I read the poem a few times before I researched it to make sure that I understood the words and I realised that what he wrote relates to me personally. I do not like confronting my demons, I do not like confrontation and I build up that energy to the point that it only hurts me, after researching some more digging, I realised that his words where also what people practice today "universal law" which I also studied 10 years ago when I read the 'secret'.

How does the poem connect to the words in the 'Secret'?
The 'secret' is a motivational book which teaches people to release negativity, not to even think about negative thought or feel them because whatever you put out to the universe is what is going to come back to you, being positive or negative.

I emailed the Author from the poetry foundation ' Andrew Spacey' who has Analysis, William Blake in detail and has had his material has been published worldwide, I asked him if it was connected to the law of attraction, he stated:

"The poem is from Songs of Experience (as opposed to Innocence) so....you have all of the human experience to play with. A little daunting yet, if you want to stay true to the poem perhaps the symbolic nature of certain elements should be an integral part of your final creation?

The poem's theme you could say boils down to psychology, some say spirituality -  how we as human beings express our emotions especially anger. Should we suppress our anger or find ways to let it all out? What happens if anger is suppressed? What happens when anger is transformed into something positive? In real life, there are all sorts of events, situations, issues that reflect both suppression and expression. I'm sure you can think of many.

The tree is a symbol of the fall of humanity...there's also the idea of the family tree, tree of life, source of knowledge of good and evil in Christianity. Poison is anger, negative thoughts...how we can heal ourselves by acknowledging our weakness, bringing anger out into the open somehow without harming others or self-harming.

Should we even try to control anger? How do we each experience anger in our own lives? How do we as nation handle anger? Political anger? Anger in Nature? do only humans experience anger? " (Spacey, 2019)


Although it was not a Direct answer to the question, he mentions spirituality, psychological, negative thought and the word positive, they all connect with the 'Law of attraction and are mentioned in the book the 'secret'

From this research, I am getting a more creative vision of what and how I can use these feeling and elements within my idea. 


Who is my poet 'William Blake'?

'Blake was born on November 28, 1757. Unlike many well-known writers of his day, Blake was born into a family of moderate means. His father, James, was a hosier, and the family lived at 28 Broad Street in London in an unpretentious but “respectable” neighbourhood. In all, seven children were born to James and Catherine Hermitage Blake, but only five survived infancy. Blake seems to have been closest to his youngest brother, Robert, who died young.'


'Blake was a poet, painter, engraver, and visionary William Blake worked to bring about a change both in the social order and in the minds of men. Though in his lifetime his work was largely neglected or dismissed, he is now considered one of the leading lights of English poetry, and his work has only grown in popularity. In his Life of William Blake (1863)' 

Blake has his share of heartache throughout his life and a lot of pent up anger and growing up in the time that he did he made sure he made the best of his skills, he went to art school and is now known throughout the world.

To respect my poet in my project I want to Chanel Blakes life experiences into my film, in regards to his pain, I want to ask myself - how does a child deal with losing siblings? How does one deal with heartache from a break-up? how does one deal with not being able to express themself because of religious beliefs?.

I want to make religion and spirituality the major points within my film as those elements are popping up all over my research.

What is 'The Poison Tree' About?

'A poison tree is a poem that focuses on the emotion of anger and the consequences for our relationships should that anger be suppressed. It deals with the darker side of humanity psyche' (Spacey, 2019)

  • If we don't speak to an enemy the anger grows because sorting thing out with friends is easier then talking to someone who you have fallen out with.
  • 'Poison' is a metaphor for 'Negativity'.
Society at the time encourages people to bottle up emotions and to be present a polite and unruffled persona to the world.


What was going through the poet's mind when writing this poem?


  • Something has upset the speaker, be it trivial or serious, but things have been smoothed over because the anger (wrath) was released - he told his friend - the air has been cleared and they can both move onwards and upwards.
  • In contrast, the speaker's relationship with an enemy has gone badly wrong, simply because the anger he felt was not communicated. The anger began to grow, like a tree, inside his heart and mind. This troubled him greatly, he cried tears of anguish, and despite appearing happy enough in the outside world, inside things were turning toxic. He lost all trust in himself and started to make up stories to try and cover things.
  • After a certain length of time, the anger became a metaphorical poison apple, bright and shiny perhaps like the one in the fairytale Sleeping Beauty, like the apple Adam and Eve shared in the Garden of Eden. His enemy is taken in by this shining attractive fruit - they are both affected by this toxic emotion - but one more than the other.
  • Tempted, the enemy, in the dead of night, when both are at extremes in their relationship (poles apart), takes the forbidden fruit, eats it and dies. The conflict hasn't been resolved in an amicable manner and the outcome is a disaster. Both have suffered from the destructive effects of the suppressed (unconscious) anger. (Spacey,2019)

How am I going to use my research into my creative film?

  • Religion - William Blakes background for this poem stemmed from a religious belief so I want to have religious aspects in my film.
  • Location - I will choose a location which was built before my poet, this is so that I can understand what it was like for my poet at certain locations, the oldest places are churches, which will tie into my religious idea.
  • Relationships - I will have human relationships that have a situation of conflict and show what it is like if feeling towards another is not resolved.
  • Musical Tone and pace - Blake passed the poem into a structure which is not fast reading, i want to take my time with movements with slower music using emotion and body language as the forefront.












Comments

Most viewed