DOCUMENTARY - LOCATION TRIP - CHATHAM DOCKSIDE

                                         Location workshop 'Historical dockyard Chatham'

We arrived at the dockside at 10am on the 1/04/19, we waited for our group to arrive before we were briefed on what was expected of us for the 2 hr shoot.

We were told to create a poetic documentary in the area that we were given to shoot, to tell a story of where we were. I know from past experiences that time is always of the essence when it comes to filming, because not only did we need to shoot this documentary we also had to recce it and do a risk assessment. I feel if we had the knowledge of where we were going to shoot we could have done this prior to the day, as when we got to our location which was the Cavalier, the guard spent 20 minutes telling us all about the ship, which isn't a bad thing because as documentarians we should know as much as possible.

we looked at all the places in which we could film and laid out our risk assessment which took us up to 11:30am and we only had till 12:30pm to complete the filming.
the equipment was heavy and the problems we had to face were the tight stairs and the small areas we had to film in, we also had problem with school outing that was taken place on the ship.

I mentioned to the group that Helen doesn't like handheld shots or panning shots so we put the camera in the tripod, as time was passing by Taz got shots on her phone and did some handheld stuff as we were going back to base.

                                 Here are some of the shot in which we could have captured.




Myself and Katie gave the footage to Taz who was going to edit the piece together, the piece that we screen was done all from the phone footage in a music video style, I liked it but it wasn't what I would have chosen from all the great footage we had got, but she also created another piece in which she said was too long but involved some of the footage we captured on the Sony, the night before the edit Taz called to ask what sort of music to use and I said to look for some English Heritage music.
But this was the final edit.


Our feedback was that the music was too happy for the feeling of the ship as many people had lost their lives whilst serving the ship, which I totally agree. There were too many panning shots but we also took a few but wasn't expecting them all to make the cut.

I did request the footage so I could do my own edit so I am waiting on that now, I would like to see the other shots that we have so that I can make something with less panning.

altogether I think we worked okay as a group and I have sat back more and been more relaxed in regards to not being so in control, has it paid off? we shall see.

CRITICAL REFLECTIONS ON LOCATION WORKSHOP
I feel like I should have been more in control of the time and maybe I shouldn't have asked so many questions to the guard because this had taken a lot of time, I maybe should have purchased a leaflet or guide about the location we were filming instead of having to make our way around the ship so we knew exactly what we wanted.

I feel like I wanted ore time on the camera because I had a few artistic frames in which I wanted to capture but wanted to step back and let our group work together.

What have I learned from this workshop? 
I have learned that I want to make sure I map things out before I shoot and I want to get the shots I want to use in the final edit.
Also, I feel that I want to edit my own final piece, however,r the piece submitted was acceptable, I just have a different eye.


Comments

Most viewed