DIRECTION - MY DIRECTOR PRESENTATION AND SCENE




 
MY PRESENTATION
                                             (How it was suppose to sound)

Hello everyone, as you all know I have Been off and its been a challenge to catch up, but here goes.

1st slide - My director presentation by me.

2nd slide - at first I was like

3rd slide - I dunno what to do …. And then 

4th slide - I spoke to god - well I spoke to Simon but same thing.

5th slide - I explained that I been toiling with idea for over a week and had picked 4 directors but still hadn’t decided, I wanted to choose a female director who work within a masculine environment and mainly with male cast because this is a challenge for most female directors to get a chance to do so. 

  • Female directors have always inspired me as I feel that the he film industry can still be very much a mans world, although we have come on leaps and bounds we are still not completely there with gender equality.


6th slide - Little did I know that there was one who actually exist , so here I have it, my director is ..

7th slide - Kathryn Bigelow

  • At first I was unaware of Katherine Bigelow’s work because when I was looking at female directors I was searching for British female Directors, under the impression that there would be a lot more then I had found with the criteria that I was looking for.

8th slide - Kathryn was the first female director to win ‘best director’ for her film - The Hurt Locker.

9th slide - she is known for directing - K19 - POINT BREAK - BLUE STEEL - DETROT - ZERO DARK THIRTY - STRANGE DAYS AND THE LOVELESS.

10th slide - STYLE  
What is consistent about her directing style ? In Kathryns earlier films she did explore females doing masculine roles - such as Jamie lee Curtis in her role as a cop in the film Blue steel, she took on the theme (later on) exploring western style films but bringing them into age - from then till now she is still making gripping genre and action films, on close inspection of her films she is critiquing the pre-conceived ideas of what a genre film actually is.
She also has the ability to humanise her characters and by doing so there is potential to develop her characters more.
She has kept up her film making style with a lot of action and explosions and has the visual eye are realism.   
What inspire her about the scripts she takes on?
 Kathryn is very current in everyday world affairs she directs mainly ‘real life stories’ and historical moments and real situations.
She gets into the minds of the characters that are written in the screen play, she chooses scripts that are not just for entertainment purpose but also to educate and inform, also that will have an impact of society in the aim for change.
What camera styles is she consistent with ? - in most her films she uses handheld and gritty realism effects as seen in this clip of a scene from ‘the Hurt Locker’  (show clip)

11th slide - clip



12th slide - Who inspires her art form and why? 

Before her filming career Kathryn was a trained painter - the picture to the right is by one of her inspired artist William de Kooning.
She was also obsessed with the expressionist movement which focused less on naturalism and more instead tried to express the deep seed submerged emotions that exist within us all.

13th slide - Why did I pick this film? 

These scenes are said to be the most powerful scenes  in the movie and I really felt that too because whilst James is in the supermarket he seems like he is trying to find some meaning in the choices he faces in everyday life such as choosing one of a dozen cereal options he is faced with, its seems trivia to him, but disposing bombs in the war he could do without hesitation.

I also think that the speech that he has with his baby is one that he cannot have with his wife, its his thoughts and feelings that he needs to get of his chest enabling him to make his mind up about what he wants to do, he is not used to the civi life and he feels like he is not as useful like he is when he is serving his country. 

Soon after he finds himself consumed by his need to do what he does best as the movie concludes with his conflicting character returning back to Iraq - facing challenges which he embraces as a precious part of his life. 

I also watched an interview with the screen writer Mark Boal, I was intrigued within his world of researching about what life was like on the front line apart of the  bomb disposal unit, he talked about how Kathryn bought the film to life in the most realistic way, as the writer he felt like he was back on the front line when he is on set, I wanted also to get outside my comfort zone and see if I could re-create something that is meaningful and can relate to many veterans and hero’s of war.

What would I do different ? This is in respect of a directors POV

  • In the original script the speeches are a lot longer when he is talking to his son, the script is slightly different to what we see on the screen but I can actually use the original script, also at the end of this scene there was a scene that was cut, this is when James Renner is standing at a bus stop in his uniform waiting to go back to Iraq, I want to use this scan as I have more of a limited time to communicate this and it’s something that I haven’t seen on the film because it was cut, it will give me a chance to put my own spin on things.

  • Recreating such a movement in History is a challenge within itself, but visually I would change the location of events, I will make it British based but that is only due to the locations that I have access to and the budget that I have to work with - I can not afford a budget that Kathryn had for this movie.

  • I like the handheld camera movements because it makes the audience feel as if they are in that moment watching real events unfold infant of them.

  • Because of the weather conditions I would also set it in winter months, which will defiantly make it a British film.

  • I am still researching my way of re-creating such an iconic film and this is defiantly going to be a challenge in all areas of , cast - location - costume.














Comments

Most viewed